Hair is an amazing thing. Probably more interesting and intricate than many care to admit. Hair can affect our perceived self-image or in some cases, even potentially communicate our health status (eg with cancer patients undergoing treatment) as well as religious, social and cultural affiliations.
Okay, we admit that maybe being Hair Clinic International, we’re a little biased concerning our passion towards all things to do with hair. Yet we believe that if you also took the time to get to know the wonders of hair, who knows, you too could appreciate it so much more. Without further ado, here are 10 super facts about hair that you probably didn’t know.
- Hair grows at a rate of 1cm a month
- Normal hair loss is about 80-100 hairs a day
- Hair should ideally be washed once or twice a week so as to try and preserve essential oils which get stripped off with excessive washing
- Healthy hair, when wet, will stretch up to double (50%) its original length and return to its normal shape without snapping off, while dry hair will only stretch about 20%
- Research suggests that Africans and Europeans are more prone to balding than Asians
- Drastic crash diets can cause temporary hair loss
- Hair plays a big role in forensic investigations as it contains evidence about what’s in your bloodstream (including drugs)
- Women can lose a lot of hair after child birth due to their hormones regulating back to normal
- The older we get there are fewer pigment cells in hair follicles; implying that as we age fewer pigment cells will be around to produce melanin
- The only part of hair that is “not dead” is the hair inside your scalp
If you are not entirely satisfied with your crowning glory, help is at hand. Contact us for a free consultation to discuss non surgical hair replacement as well as surgical hair replacement options that